"Denkmal für Herrmann von Kapff" 1816
Jacob Ephraim Polzin
Memorial for Hermann von Kapff
Sponsor: Friends of H. v. Kapff
No longer in existence
The memorial for Herrmann von Kapff was inaugurated on 24th May 1816. Originally, the memorial was erected on the grounds of a farm in Rockwinkel. It was relocated to the Herdentor cemetery in May 1860. It was moved again in 1923, when it was transferred to Gustav-Deetjen-Allee at the occasion of the construction of the new main post office 5 on An der Weide. The memorial was removed in the 1960s.
The iron cross was placed on a sandstone base in neo-gothic shapes with a triangular foundation.
Inscription on the cross:
On 16th July 1815, Hermann von Kapff remained in the battle of Ligny.
Inscription on the front face of the base:
Life is not the highest of goods
Inscription on the rear face of the base:
Friendship erected this memorial in honour of its favourite.