"Denkmal für Otto von Bismarck" 1910
Memorial for Otto von Bismarck
Casting: Gladenbeck, Berlin
Base design: Architect Carl Sattler
Sponsors: Senators, merchants and bankers from Bremen
This memorial for Otto von Bismarck was inaugurated on the 9th July 1910. The bronze equestrian statue is mounted atop a base six meters high and screened with limestone from Untersberg (also called “Salzburg Marble”).
During World War II, the memorial was walled in on the north side of the Bremen cathedral to protect it from bombs. It was re-erected at its former site next to the cathedral on the 23rd September 1952.